Canadian Visas

Do I need a visa to study in Canada?

Yes, if you are from a country NOT included in the visa exemptions list. If your country is on the visa exemptions list but your course of study is over 6 months you need a visa.
Of the countries where GetSet has centers, only Taiwan is included in the visa exemptions list.

How do I get a Study permit for Canada?

Before you apply for a study permit you must get a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution. The acceptance letter will include a Designated Learning Number (DLI) which begins with the letter “O”

What is a designated Learning Institution?

All Primary and secondary schools in Canada are automatically designated and you do not need a DLI number if applying for this kind of school.

There is a list for designated post-secondary institutions and language schools, you can contact GetSet to find out which schools are on the list.

What else do I need?

You will also need the following:

  • A valid passport and 2 photos
  • Proof of funds – In the form of bank statements to prove you have enough money to pay for your tuition and living expenses while you are in Canada. If you have a scholarship for tuition and living cost you must provide evidence of this.
  • Letter of Explanation – It is also possible to apply for a study permit even if you don’t immediately need one. For example you could be on a short term language course but plan to apply to a Canadian University when you finish the course.

Can I work while I am studying in Canada?

Yes and if the work is on-campus you don’t need a work permit as long as your course is full time and you are studying at a public post-secondary institution such as a university or college. It is also possible to work on-campus at private universities that are authorized to confer degrees.

Can I work off-campus?

You may be eligible to work 20 hours a week off campus without a work permit if you meet the following requirements:

  • Have a valid study permit
  • Be a full time student
  • Be enrolled at a designated learning institution at post-secondary level and
  • Be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration.

Can I work as a Co-op Student?

To be eligible for a work permit, you must meet the following conditions:

  • You must have a valid study permit.
  • Your intended employment must be an essential part of your program of study in Canada.
  • Your employment must be part of your academic program, certified by a letter from a responsible academic official of the institution.
  • Your co-op or internship employment cannot be more than 50% of the total program of study.

Can I stay in Canada after I graduate to work?

Yes but you must apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). If you want to stay in Canada as a permanent resident after you graduate.

Under this scheme a work permit can be issued for a maximum of three years and a minimum of eight months. The length of time given will be equal to the length of time you were studying to a maximum of three years.

It may even be possible for you to apply for permanent residence when you graduate if you have the skills and qualities that can contribute to the Canadian economy.