Australian Visas

Do I need a visa to study in Australia?

To study in Australia you must have a valid Australian student visa. Student visas are temporary visas that allow people to go to Australia for a specified period to study at an Australian educational institution.

There are many different types of visa depending on the type and level of your intended study.

Which visa should I apply for?

At the time of writing, the following are the different types of Australian student visas available:

Training & Research Visa (subclass 402)
Allows you to take part in work-based learning, professional development programs or research.

Independent ELICOS Sector visa (subclass 570)
Allows you to stay in Australia to study on a full-time English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS).

Schools Sector visa (subclass 571)
Allows you to stay in Australia to study full-time at secondary school course.

Vocational Education and Training Sector visa (subclass 572)
Allows you to stay in Australia to study a full-time vocational education and training course.

Higher Education Sector visa (subclass 573)
Allows you to stay in Australia to study a full-time higher education course. (bachelors, taught masters, higher education, advanced or graduate diploma)

Postgraduate Research Sector visa (subclass 574)
Allows you to stay in Australia to do postgraduate research. (Master’s by research or doctoral degree)

Non Award Sector visa (subclass 575)
Allows you to stay in Australia to study a full-time non-award foundation studies course or a course or components of a course (other than ELICOS) that does not lead to an award.

Don’t worry about this part as our experienced GetSet will guide you through the application for your Australian visa.

How do I apply for an Australian student visa?

Student visas can be applied for on-line and all supporting documents can be uploaded if you are residing in a level 1 assessed country, for example Taiwan.

Online application is also available to residents of the People’s Republic of China.

For an on-line visa application you will need at minimum the following:

  • A valid passport
  • Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from the institution where you intend to study

If you are not eligible for online application, in addition to the above mentioned you will also have to provide:

  • A recent photos of yourself
  • Documented proof that either you or your parents have enough money to cover tuition and living expenses for the duration of your stay in Australia – this should be a notarized bank statement and a letter from your parents, if they are paying, stating they will support you.

What does Streamline visa processing mean?

If you have a CoE from an eligible education provider or educational business partner you can qualify for Streamline processing which basically means that you will get your visa quicker. The list consists of universities, their pathway/English language provider partners and TAFE colleges

To find out more information about the list of eligible education provider or educational business partner listing contact your nearest GetSet center.

How long does the process take?

This depends on the assessment level of your country.

The assessment levels for the countries where GetSet has centers are;

Taiwan – level 1 (14 days)

China, Vietnam, Myanmar, Philippines – level 3 for most study visa categories (3 months)

When should I arrive in Australia?

You can arrive in Australia any time after the date indicated on your visa. You are allowed to apply for your visa 124 days (4 months) before the start of your course if applying from outside Australia.

Can I work in Australia on a student visa?

On a student visa you are permitted to work up to 40 hours per fortnight while study is in session. During recognised vacation periods, you are permitted to work unlimited hours. You are not permitted to work until you have commenced your studies.

If you are enrolled on a master’s by research or a doctorate program (subclass 574 student visa holders) you are permitted to work unlimited hours once you have commenced the course. If you are on a course such as an English language program prior to your research course, you are limited to 40 hours per fortnight during that course.

How long can I stay in Australia on completion of my studies?

You should leave Australia 28 working days after you course finishes. However it is possible to apply for a post study work visa once you have completed your studies but you would need to graduate with either a bachelor’s master’s or doctoral degree.

If you only hold a vocational diploma, high school qualification or a language certificate from an Australian institution you will not be eligible for the post study work visa